Friday, April 8, 2011

Let The School Year Begin!


Mitake

Well, I’ve officially survived 8 straight days at the BOE (or my “head” office/desk). I’ve edited several lesson plans, developed some kick-ass games (or at least, I think so), learned how to make worksheets, crosswords, and word search activities. Basically, I’ve done a lot of preparation for the new school year that I didn't do in August because I had no idea what was going on at the time! The sakura trees have fit full bloom and sadly, they will only be around for a few more days…On Thursday, Mr. Watanabe (his wife speaks English…) picked me up during working hours and took me to a sakura watching/bbq party. There were 5 of us, and all teachers who I had met before. We roasted rice, tofu, chicken, pork, and loads of veggies. Plus, with the rice, we made gohemochi (drilled rice covered in miso sauce…ah-mazing!). We sat and talked for a few hours, or in all honesty, they talked and I tried to comprehend. We discussed the earthquake and tsunami, and if my family and friends in America were worried (I had to admit I went back to America briefly). Of course, the conversation went onto the Fukushima Nuclear Plant…yikes. Eventually, the topic changed and that's about when my involvement in the speaking part of the conversation stopped. Oh well. I did learn new words, as I frantically looked them up on my phone dictionary (thank you i-Phone).


BBQ Party!


So there you have it, lots of work/sitting/planning/waiting/wishing (Jack Johnson reference there). Talking via skype with my roommate from college brightened my Thursday night. Thank god for the internet, I can’t imagine living in Japan 20 years ago, teaching English without any communication to my family and friends. Just after I went to sleep, a 7.4 earthquake rocked NE Japan (again, I know). Thankfully, I’ve read that only 3 people died from that aftershock (as of now). If that would’ve happened in America, I can guarantee you that a lot more than 3 people would’ve died. Best part? Didn’t even feel it! Woo!


No comments:

Post a Comment